Thursday, September 2, 2010

Our 5 Month Old Baby Girl

Have I mentioned that it feels as if Karina has always been with us? How could we have ever considered stopping at just one child? Of course, life is much more hectic with a second child but it is so completely worth having another personality within our family. Jonas has flourished and has never in any way shown any emotion towards Karina aside from pure happiness in having a sister.

I would say that both Karina and Jonas are very similar in that they are/were calm as babies. Not much crying. Very content. Jonas both demanded and invited more social interaction with myself and others. Karina is more cautious in her interactions with others aside from Jordan or I. I think that Jonas enjoyed interacting so much because we had such quiet surroundings when he was a baby - just him and I and Jordan in our big roomy Island house. He always wanted to know where I was in the house and would become fussy if I went upstairs or down the the basement. He didn't like being alone. But then, what baby or child does? Karina, on the other hand, is always watching and very observant in our little apartment. There is always lots going on and the space is small. She knows I am always just a few feet away - whether I am in the kitchen or another room, I am always almost within arms reach. This, I think, makes her feel secure and comfortable and therefor she goes ahead and plays on her own or listens and watches all of the activity. She loves to watch Jonas play and interact with us and his friends. She will often cry and become upset if he cries.

Karina will nap 3 or 4 times a day now for about 30-45 minutes if left alone and perhaps 1 - 1.5 hours if I join her. She feeds at least every 3 hours each night, which I rarely notice since she sleeps right next to me. I actually feel rested enough to function quite well throughout the day and often, surprisingly get alot accomplished. (alot is relative).

Karina started solids much earlier than Jonas. I started her very gradually just before she was 4 months. I went with intuition and shared some smoothy with her one day. She became very excited and wanted more so I started her on rice cereal which she happily took with no tongue thrust reflex whatsoever. I was quite surprised. I got the big no no from the public health nurse because most recent studies have shown that babies should not have solids until 6 months. But that is just an average for when babies are ready and of course each baby is different. Aside from any recent research, I believe that following our own intuition as well as following the baby's lead is most important. I often feel that we place too much trust in what others dictate based on this or that study and not enough on our own instinct. Anyway. She has been very happy with food and now eats twice a day with nursing as she wants. SO far she has had yams, carrots, peas, spaghetti squash and apple. She is incredibly involved and so very messy. She likes to try to feed herself now and loves to move the food into her mouth on her own. Its very sweet.

Aside from her food, Karina loves to be in the sling, the bjorn and just recently the ergo carrier. She also loves sitting in the BOB Stroller with her brother at the front. She is much better travelling in the car now and rarely cries, thank goodness.

When not being carried, Karina loves to be on her stomach. Much more than Jonas ever did. She loves to roll around and scoot and check out her toys. She can also sit on her own very briefly and for extended periods if helped. She doesn't like the BUMBO seat like Jonas did, but she like her rocker chair (which Jonas liked as well).

We have a crib set up in the bedroom she will eventually share with Jonas. She loves to play in it when I am cleaning or playing with Jonas. I can imagine she will be as excited as Jonas is to eventually share a room!

Its hard to believe that 5 months have passed since Karina was born. It has gone by so fast and when I think back to when she was inside me, I could never have imagined how beautifully our life would continue to unfold with our little baby girl! How so very smooth the transition has been... I feel very fortunate and am forever thankful to have Karina and Jonas in my life. By having them I have learned so much about myself and life in general. This experience has been, at times, difficult, yet overall the most fulfilling chapter of my life so far...

No comments: