Thursday, June 24, 2010

Karina - 3 Months




These past 12 weeks have really flown by. But, really, there is no other way that time flows when you have a baby. A baby and a 3 year old. Lots of energy. Actually, Karina feels very easy next to her big brother. Thank goodness Jordan is around on the non daycare days; Jonas just has so much energy to burn. Long walks in the forest and sports and sand/dirt play are his all day staples when not in daycare. Naps are hard to come by for Jonas when he is at home and he will only fall asleep if we are in the car which is not very often.


Karina is also full of energy these days. She sleeps so well through the night with feedings every 3 hours, but never a full awakening. She sleeps well in her side bed next to us, but eventually I get lazy and she ends up sleeping with us after one of her feeds during the night. Daytime, Karina is a light napper and will fall asleep easily while in the Bjorn but will not stay asleep on her own unless I am snuggled with her. I only nap with her every other day because I find that I am not needing the extra sleep. My energy has been quite good since Karina was born. Some days tougher, but generally my energy is quite good. Karina naps between 3-5 times a day and this is anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours. She is very content to watch me in the kitchen or outside in the garden. She spends long periods on her tummy or in her chairs, looking around. When she gets a little grumpy I put her back in the Bjorn and she is content once again. At the moment, life is very simple.




Simple is good and I am thoroughly enjoying the moment. I try to get out for at least an hour of exercise 5 days a week. I am trying new recipes and making many healthy meals - our smoothies are the best ever and we have gotten super creative! I am eating a larger variety of green smoothies and also some chocolate ones lately as well.

It has felt so refreshing to start back at Bikrams Yoga again. I wish I could go more, but once a week is better than non and at this point I will take what I can get. I have tried playing squash with Jordan which was fun and again I can't wait to play again. Aside from that I have been jogging and swimming and going on lots of walks with Karina.

Living on campus is so convenient and lots of fun. Although our actual apartment building is a complete dump, our apartment is average and we have a nice yard. We are south facing so we get lots of sun, yet some shade from a giant Maple tree. We have some privacy but we do overlook the Whitecaps soccer field which is fine! Actually, all the sports facilities surrounding us are world class; its great to have so many healthy and active people all over the place. We have also made some really great friends and the overall feeling is that we all feel quite supported by one another and there is always someone close by to help in any situation. (birth, babysitting etc)

Its hard to find the time to collect my thoughts and sit down to write this blog. I often think of different things I would like to write about but when I have the chance to sit down for long enough, I forget what I want to write about and then I am too tired! Being a mom to a baby is exhausting and chaotic with a 3 year old running around. The other day it took several minutes for me to try to communicate one thought to Jordan and it was just such an insane moment with Karina in my arms and Jonas running around - I had to laugh at myself. And to top it off, I wonder if Jordan even registered what I was saying. Life at the moment can be rather crazy, but as long as I live in the moment, keep things simple and remember that this will all pass much too quickly, then I think I will pull through just fine (with Jordan and Jonas and Karina!)

No comments: