Sunday, March 28, 2010

Mostly Bad Sleeps...

For the first pregnancy you are told that the frequent night wakings to empty your bladder helps to prepare you for frequent night feedings after the baby arrives. This time around I find myself getting frustrated on the bad nights. We go to bed, read, Jord falls asleep nice and easy. I read more, get that horrible restlessness in my legs and head out to the family room where I will do some stretches. listen to relaxing music, have a snack, stretch some more and eventually by around 3AM I am ready for real sleep. A couple of times in the past week I actually took some gravel by 2AM because I knew that I NEEDED to sleep. The last thing I need right now is to go into labour while exhausted from sleep deprivation. And the frustrating part is that I get tired because of my body and not because of having a 3 year old or because of work.....its because my body is not letting me sleep! And then after I fall asleep I am up for bathroom trips at least 3 times before 7:30AM BooHoo! But hey, its my blog and I will cry if I want to. The rib pain is prety inense as well. Never had rib issues with Jonas. Must be a bigger baby in there.

Friday, I had my weekly prelabour acupuncture. It was my third session in three weeks. For the first time the needles created some very strong sensations throughout my body and especially when they were first inserted and later when they were stimulated. Bronwynn said that this is a normal reaction when the mother is getting close to labour. I went for a peaceful walk around campus that afternoon and then climbed lots of stairs because I was feeling so good. But then of course the next morning (Sat) I was sore in the pelvis. I kind of expected that, though, because it seems like I am always a little sore in the pelvis the day after acupuncture. I noticed last week that by the evening of my acupuncture, the baby had dropped a ton and I have not had any acid indigestion since. yay.

So Saturday started off very sore, but I went with Jonas and Jordan to gymnastics in New Westminster and then a walk in Queens Park. By the time we got home the pelvis was still sore so I rested and we decided to invite some friends over for a barbecue. I didn't know if I would be able to stay awake and join everyone but by the time people arrived I was beginning to feel better and my mind was able to be occupied by other things other than my aching body. It ended up being a very good idea.

Unfortunatly, I foud out a few hours before diiner that my friend (and back up Doula) down the hall, Jordanne, and her husband and two kids had become very sick, very fast with the stomach flu. Jonas is close with her girls and had been at school with Porter the day before. So I hoped for the best with us getting sick as well. But by the time our guests left and I was putting Jonas to sleep, he had a definite fever. He was happy and had been energetic all evening (trying to get everyone to check out his 'dedroom') But he was hit with a fever and again this morning he awoke with a fever and a cough. So far no stomach issues. Also, Jordy had to call in another back up Doula for a client that was giving birth while she and her family were sick. Too bad.

Today was spent on the fold out couch, resting, reading and watching cartoons. Too rainy for a stroller walk with the sick little guy. We took a trip to the store and bought some yummy sick treats like grapes, strawberries, waffles and orangess and are now relaxing again on the fold out couch.

I am telling myself that I will remain healthy and not get this sickness. I had been thinking that tomorrows full moon would be a nice time to begin labour but now I am hoping baby waits a few more days until its big bro is feeling better. Afterall Jonas is still super keen to be around for the birth and helping to cut the cord. Either way things will work out how they are meant to be....

1 comment:

Eva said...

What an update...hope you get better soon and that you can go into labour when your body is well rested and healthy as possible.